Monday, June 15, 2015

Autoharp Recital


Most of the performances I write about here are of classical music or opera.  On Saturday afternoon, though, I had an opportunity to attend something truly unique - an autoharp recital held at a Japanese association in an office building on Eighth Avenue.

The performer was my best friend Chiemi Aoki from Tokyo.  Though I have known Chiemi for ten years now, this was the first chance I'd had to hear her sing and play.  I found she had a truly beautiful soprano voice, clear and limpid, and played her instrument with considerable skill.  This in itself was quite an accomplishment as the autoharp is almost unknown in Japan and there are no teachers or lesson books available to those seeking instruction.

The music itself was what would be labeled "folk" in our own country even though, with the exception of "Amazing Grace," all the vocals were sung entirely in Japanese.  These were simple uplifting melodies that possessed a strong spiritual dimension.  Chiemi also sang one lovely song at the end that she had composed herself.

As I was the only American in attendance, the afternoon afforded a fascinating glimpse into Japanese culture and manners.  The audience here was totally involved and sang and danced along to the music with a great show of spirit.  And all the guests were wonderfully hospitable to the outsider among them as they drew me to my feet and had me dance alongside them.  I ended up enjoying myself immensely.  This was really the most fun I'd had since my last visit to Tokyo.

I've posted more photos of the event on my other blog, The Photographer as Novelist.

No comments:

Post a Comment