Saturday, May 6, 2017

Yefim Bronfman Carnegie Hall Recital Canceled

I had a ticket for Yefim Bronfman's recital scheduled for this past Thursday evening at Carnegie Hall and had hoped today to post my thoughts on his performance.  Unfortunately, the recital was canceled at the very last moment due to illness and will not be rescheduled.  That's such a shame for lovers of great piano music.  Mr. Bronfman is in my opinion one of the finest pianists now active and had been scheduled to perform an especially enjoyable program that included Bartók's Suite, Op. 14, Schumann's Humoreske in B-flat major, Op. 20, Debussy's Suite bergamasque, and Stravinsky's Trois mouvements de Petrouchka.  I had particularly been looking forward to hearing the Stravinsky, the virtuoso showpiece the composer had orginally written for Arthur Rubinstein.

Along with a hundred or so other people. I met Mr. Bronfman at a reception at Carnegie Hall's Rohatyn Room a couple of seasons ago.  He struck me as a very serious professional, and I doubt very much he would have canceled unless he were seriously ill.  I sincerely hope he recovers soon from whatever ails him.

No comments:

Post a Comment