Saturday, June 17, 2023

Wave.video

I recently came across a site named Wave.video that promises text-to-video generative AI.  Since the site has several tiers, the most basic of which is free to use, I decided to give it a try.  For a lengthy text prompt I chose a short story, roughly five pages in length, I'd written many years ago and then did a cut & paste into the app's text prompt.  (I believe the limit, at least at the free level, is 50,000 characters.)  

I found the UI to be fairly intuitive and the app quickly generated a video on the first try.  The problem I encountered on this first attempt was that I had instructed the app to use free stock images to illustrate the story and, unfortunately, these were almost entirely out of character with the content (a ghost tale set in ancient Japan).  The video was very easy to edit, though, and I was able to quickly replace the stock images with copies of Japanese artworks I had accumulated over the years in my personal library.  This done, the roughly ten-minute video was entirely presentable and I was able to quickly download it to my hard drive in 720 mp4 format.  (I would have needed to have upgraded to higher tier to have saved it at a higher resolution.)

As for the the video itself, it was really not so much a video as one of those animations which move quickly from one still frame to the next.  To me, this wasn't really true video at all but more an animated Power Point presentation.  Still, the app does offer a new means of displaying one's writing and images to audiences who might otherwise be reluctant to read through a text presentation, even if illustrated, and for that reason should be a useful alternative for creators to keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment