Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Nikon Announces 12-28mm DX Power Zoom Lens


Nikon has just announced the release of a 12-28mm (equivalent to 18-42mm full frame) wide angle power zoom lens for its DX cameras, such as my own Zfc.  As is the case with the DX cameras themselves, the target audience for the lens is obviously content creators and vloggers, and for that purpose it appears admirably adapted.

For one thing, the wide angle of view is excellent for vlogging purposes, though there might be some slight distortion if used at its widest setting and held too close to the subject.  And the power zoom allows the user to easily move in and out from the subject using a bluetooth remote.  Finally, the lens's light weight - only 7.2 ounces - makes it extremely easy to carry about.

I was surprised to see that lens features VR control.  It's a nice bonus, but I honestly hadn't thought it would be necessary on such a lightweight wide angle lens.

The new lens is currently available for preorder at B&H for $359.95 which seems a very reasonable price for a Nikon lens offering so many features.  I'm sure it will become a best seller among content creators.  I don't know if I'll purchase it myself, however, at least not right away.  The lens's focal length largely overlaps that of the 16-50mm kit lens I purchased  with my Zfc; and though the power zoom is a useful feature, it's not one I have great need of at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment