Saturday, April 8, 2023

Creative Labs Sound Blaster PLAY! 3 External Sound Card


In early January when B&H Camera was having its annual post-holiday sale I purchased the Rode VideoMic GO for more than a third off list price.  Even though I had no immediate use for it at that time, the price was simply too good a deal to pass up; and at any rate I was sure I would be able to put the microphone to good use when recording on-camera sound at such time as I began vlogging. 

As it turned out, I eventually decided against using the microphone on-camera.  For one thing, I did not intend to appear in any of the videos myself since I am definitely the world's least photogenic person.  Secondly, and more importantly, I found it too difficult to record coherent audio of my voice at the same I was shooting video.  It was simply too distracting to try to do two things at once when each task really deserved my full attention.

I then decided I would record the voice track separately, after first having shot the video, using the RODE mic with my Windows 11 notebook's built-in Sound Recorder.  To that end I purchased the RODE Ttipod 2 to use as a small mic stand while recording.  I also intended to use the tripod, when closed, as a hand grip on which to mount my Nikon Zfc with 16-50 lens while shooting video since it would obviously provide the camera with far greater stability than if I were to shoot handheld.

It was a good idea, but for some reason one of my notebook computers would not recognize the microphone when plugged in.  To get around this, I returned yet again to B&H and this time purchased the Creative Labs Sound Blaster 3 Sound Card and USB DAC amp which turned out to be a inspired purchase for only $19.99.  Not only did it solve my problem connecting the microphone to the computer, but it also dramatically improved the sound quality when I listened to music with my headphones.  Leaving its use with the microphone aside, I would definitely advise purchasing this item to anyone who listens to listen to music on their computer.  It really works; and after all, it's hard to go wrong at such an inexpensive price.

No comments:

Post a Comment