Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Creating AI Images from Brain Waves


In my recent sci fi/fantasy novel And What If, I described an instrument capable of generating AI images from a subject's dreams.  Although the idea was of course speculative, I had based it on actual research done in Finland and in Japan that had succeeded in transcribing thoughts into images by measuring the flow of blood in the brain.  It seems now that exciting new research has taken the idea one step further.  According to a paper published in November entitled Seeing Beyond the Brain that is the subject of an NBC news article a team of researchers led by Zijiao Chen that includes participants from the National University of Singapore, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Stanford University "have shown they can decode human brain scans to tell what a person is picturing in their mind."  The NBC article from which this quote is taken then goes on to describe the process in detail.

Although no one yet, as far as I know, has succeeded in generating images from a subject's dreams as I hypothesized in my novel, it will obviously be only a matter of time until such a breakthrough occurs.  No doubt someone reading my novel ten years from now will find it laughably outdated.

No comments:

Post a Comment