Saturday, March 4, 2023

Problems with Corel Video Studio 2023


I had posted late last month that Corel had released Video Studio 2023 Ultimate, the most recent update to its popular video editing app.  A few days later I purchased the upgrade and tried to install it on my Windows 11 Acer Concept D7.  The installation failed after I received an error message indicating I had an app open that needed to be closed.  Unfortunately, I was unable to locate the app on Task Manager and now believe it to be part of Corel's own installer.  At any rate, I was unable to close it.  I then tried chatting with a support technician who told me to reinstall Video Studio using the Repair option.  When that did not solve the problem the tech asked me to send her a printscreen image of the error message.  The message must have been as unclear to her as it was to me because she immediately told me she would set up a ticket and abruptly ended the chat session.

Left to my own devices, I tried doing a  hard reboot of the computer and again reinstalled the app using the Repair option.  This time the installation finished and the app loaded without further problem.

I thought that would be the end of the matter, but when I attempted to open the app yesterday it first failed to load and on a second attempt loaded but immediately froze so that I had no alternative but to shut it down with Task Manager.  It was only on the third attempt that the app loaded successfully.

In the meantime, in response to the ticket that had been created, I received an email from Corel tech support containing links that when opened contained instructions so convoluted they were impossible to follow, at least for a non-tech person such as myself.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced similar problems, but I wanted to post a heads up so prospective purchasers could be made aware of the problem.  Caveat emptor.

No comments:

Post a Comment