Thursday, March 9, 2023

Using AI Imagery to Create a Graphic Novel


I recently came across an article in Japan Today regarding the use of AI imagery (in this case generated by Midjourney) to create a full length manga, apparently the first ever to be published in Japan.  What most caught my attention was the claim by the author, who goes by the name of Rootport, that he had managed to complete the work, illustrations and all, in only six weeks.

Predictably, Rootport's accomplishment has already created a great deal of controversy in Japan where manga art is regarded not only as an art form but also as an important source of income for the large number of artists who work in the field.  However, at least one prominent artist, Madoka Kobayashi, seeing the possibilities offered by AI, has gone on record as saying, "I don't really see AI as a threat - rather I think it can be a great companion." 

At any rate, the Japan Today article gave me an idea for my own next project.  Shown above is the cover of my noir novel The Blue Hours that I published online several years ago and that is still currently available for purchase on both the Amazon and Barnes & Noble websites.  I've always thought this one of my more successful works of fiction and have now decided to recast the story, with certain necessary modifications, as a graphic novel with illustrations generated entirely by various AI imaging apps.  The idea is all the more agreeable as I recently completed a fully illustrated novel, And What If (see my Featured Post), that enabled me to appreciate the extent to which illustrations can enrich text even in a work of fiction.

I most likely won't begin work on my projected graphic novel until autumn as during the warmer months I spend as much time as possible outdoors working on my photography and video, but it will certainly give me something to look forward to when the weather once again turns cold.  And even in summer months I may find time to spend some rainy afternoons experimenting with AI imagery for possible use in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment