Monday, March 27, 2023

DPReview to Close

According to an announcement on its site DPReview will cease operations as of April 10.  The site will be sorely missed, at least by me, as I found its product reviews to be among the most reliable available.  Few other sites perform the in-depth testing DPReview routinely provided.  Although I sometimes disagreed with its conclusions, they were always worth serious consideration.  The site was also a good source for industry news.

I had not realized, prior to reading the closure announcement, that DPReview had actually been wholly owned by Amazon which has been engaging recently in a wave of cost-cutting moves.  While I appreciate that Amazon needs to turn a profit, surely it could have found a better way to save a few dollars than by terminating a valuable service.  After all, it is not as if the company were in any sort of financial difficulty.

No comments:

Post a Comment