Monday, March 28, 2022

Acer Concept D7 Laptop

 

Before beginning any discussion of photo apps or camera equipment I first want to mention the computer on which I do my editing, in my opinion the digital photographer's most essential tool.  In December 2020 I purchased at B&H Photo the since discontinued Acer Concept D7 specifically for the purpose of editing and no other.  It's a powerful machine driven by a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 6-Core Processor and has an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 GPU with 6GB of VRAM as well as a 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD hard drive.  Its one drawback as far as the specs are concerned is that the machine came installed with only 16GB RAM and could not be upgraded.  I would much have preferred to have had a minimum of 32GB.  On the other hand, the D7's great selling point, at least as far as I was concerned, was its 15.6 3840 x 2160 4K Pantone validated display.  I strongly feel that an HD display is crucial in accurately judging image quality and tonal values.

In the year and a half that I've used it, the D7 had performed superbly and fulfilled all my expectations.  Despite the limited amount of RAM, it has easily handled large files and worked perfectly with all my apps.  I also appreciate the portability of a laptop that I can take with me when traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment