Monday, April 18, 2022

Affinity Photo

 

Another photo editing app that's often mentioned as an alternative to Photoshop is Affinity Photo.  I happened upon it when it was on sale at half price, though that offer has since ended and the price has returned to a full $54.99.  Even at that, though, it's still a bargain considering the truly stunning array of features it offers. As listed on its website, these include:

  • RAW editing
  • HDR merge
  • Panorama stitching
  • Focus stacking
  • Batch processing
  • 360 image editing
  • Smart object support
  • Digital painting
If anything, the very plenitude of features is the app's main drawback since mastering it necessarily involves a fairly steep learning curve.  There is a Start Guide available, but I noted when writing this post that neither the User Manual I once downloaded nor the expensive hardcover Affinity Photo Workbook seem to be any longer available.  That's a real problem since it leaves the user no choice but to browse through the site's numerous tutorials (112 at present count), a somewhat haphazard approach.

On a more positive note that purchase price apparently includes lifetime updates.  I've received email notice of several and have had no problem downloading them.

I have to admit I've unfortunately never taken the time to study the program in depth.  I simply lack incentive since I still rely on Photoshop CS6 for most of my photo editing.  There's no question, though, that Affinity Photo represents a viable alternative to Adobe products if I should ever decide to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment