Friday, January 27, 2023

Shutterstock AI Imaging

 

Shutterstock had in the past prohibited creators from uploading AI generated images to its platform.  Whether or not that still holds true, the stock agency has partnered with Open AI, developer of DALL-E 2, to introduce its own AI image generator that will allow anyone with an account to generate images and submit them for licensing without ever leaving the site.

I have actually never submitted any of my stock photos to Shutterstock, though I do have an account, preferring to limit my submissions to Adobe Stock if only for convenience sake.  Although I have sold some images from the Adobe site there is actually so little money in stock photography - and yes, I've read those accounts of photographers who earn six-digit incomes from it but have never been able to figure out how they manage it unless they work at it night and day without ever sleeping - that it never seemed worth my while to make an all out effort and begin submitting to  multiple venues.  Given my interest in AI imaging, however, the opportunity to make use of Shutterstock's own generator seems too good an opportunity to pass up; and I most likely will start using it in the near future once I finish working on my current project (a novel fully illustrated with AI imagery) and then license the images I derive therefrom on Shutterstock.  I don't think there's much to lose, though I will first certainly read the fine print to determine exactly what rights I'm signing over to Shutterstock by so doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment