Monday, January 30, 2023

Adobe Stock Guidelines for AI Imagery

 
I received an email last week from Adobe's stock division where I have in the past placed a number of my photos.  The email in question laid out guidelines for submitting AI generated imagery.  While they were no doubt meant to be helpful, I found them to be more confusing than anything else.  I had no problem with the requirement to submit a model release if a given image was intended to represent an actual person (presumably still living since it would be rather difficult to obtain a signature from a deceased individual), but the next requirement definitely left me scratching my head.  It read:
"If the generative AI content was not based on a real person, but it visually appears to resemble a person, then you must submit a property release confirming that  you have all the property rights in the content."
The question here is who is to sign the release since there is no actual person or property being shown in the generated image?  I'm really not sure and considering how little money is involved in stock photography I don't think it's worth retaining an attorney to get a legal opinion.  Better to simply submit actual photos, as I have in the past, that do not require any form of release, such as photos of flowers.  Much as I enjoy working with AI imagery, I'd rather do that than expose myself to any form of legal liability.

No comments:

Post a Comment