Thursday, February 2, 2023

A Look Ahead, A Look Back

Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to have posted this on New Year's Day, but better late than never in addressing the future direction of this blog as well as a quick look back to see where it has been since I resurrected it in March of last year.  (Prior to that, up to its discontinuance in 2019, the blog had been devoted to reporting on cultural events in New York City.)

It seems now I was more prophetic than I could have imagined when I subtitled the blog "The Emergence of AI."  At the time I had not yet heard of AI imaging apps such as DALL-E 2 and Stable Diffusion and was thinking primarily of the implementation of AI features into existing photo editing apps that I felt had been pervasive enough to justify the title "Digital Photography 2.0." 

Once I did learn of the existence of said AI imaging apps I became far more interested in the possibilities they offered than in any advances in digital photography.  In fact, I came to see AI imaging as a form of digital photography in which the camera itself was no longer necessary and which was limited only by the extent of an individual creator's imagination.

Ever since the 1960's I have been fascinated by the Aldous Huxley quote (from which the music group The Doors took their name): "There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."  It really seems AI imaging is fulfilling the promise of that quote by swinging the doors wide open.  Accordingly, I intend going forward to devote as much of this blog's reporting to AI imaging and related matters as to digital photography.

The above AI image was generated by Stable Diffusion in response to a one-word prompt - "Neuromancer" after the visionary classic novel by William Gibson.

No comments:

Post a Comment