Monday, February 27, 2023

Lensbaby Double Glass Optic


Lensbaby has released its newest optic for use with its Composer mount, the Double Glass IIa special effects piece that creates an area of distorted bokeh around a central point of focus.  In order to accomplish this and create an interesting variety of bokeh patterns the optic makes use of nine specialty drop-in magnetic aperture disks.  The patterns derived from these include a five-point star, a heart, and seven other designs specially created for Lensbaby.

In general, the effect obtained by using the Double Glass optic,  aperture disks aside, is very similar to that created by the MFT Sol 22 lens which I already own and use on my Panasonic Lumix G9.  As this would indicate, there is a redundancy in certain of Lensbaby's products.  Another example would be the Soft Focus II which produces a pleasing soft focus effect very similar to that created by the Velvet 56, another lens I own and use on my G9.  For that reason I doubt very much I'll purchase either the Double Glass optic of the Soft Focus II, most especially as special effects optics are not something I regularly use in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment