Friday, September 29, 2023

DxO Releases PhotoLab 7

DxO has just announced the release of PhotoLab 7, the latest version of its flagship RAW processing software.  Until last year when On 1 released PhotoRAW 2023, the successive versions of PhotoLab had always been my go-to app for RAW processing.  That's no longer the case.  PhotoRAW's 2023 version was so impressive that it really became for me a one-stop app for RAW processing, photo editing, and cataloging; and the soon to be released 2024 version promises to be even better.  For that reason I doubt that I will upgrade from PhotoLab 6, though I most definitely will keep it on my computer.  Then too, the new features listed by DxO for PhotoLab 7 are more incremental than revolutionary.  For the record, these include:

  • Color calibration;
  • Local corrections palette;
  • ColorWheel correction availability for local adjustments;
  • DxO styles and renderings;
  • B&W workflow;
  • Channel mixer (also available in in FilmPack 7)

That's not to say PhotoLab is not an excellent app.  It certainly is, and there may be many photographers who feel more comfortable using it than PhotoRAW.  In any event, I think both apps are far more advanced than Adobe Lightroom.

PhotoLab 7 is available for download for $229, or $109 for the upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment