Wednesday, September 27, 2023

On 1 Announces PhotoRAW 2024


On 1 has announced the latest version of its flagship app, PhotoRAW 2024.  With an expected release sometime in November, the latest version doesn't seem as much a gamechanger as last year's release, but it still seemed to me to be well worth preordering.  

The big feature on PR2024 - and it is major - is what On 1 calls AI Brilliance, which promises to in one shot automatically make all required adjustments to the RAW image being processed as well as automatically applying local adjustments.  It sounds too good to be true, but I'll withhold judgment until I've has a chance to try it for myself.  The other big change for  Adobe users - which I most definitely am not - is that On 1's plugin series is now incorporated in the Max edition of PR2024 allowing the app itself to be used as a plugin in both Lightroom and Photoshop.  (Though not specifically mentioned, I would assume this is also true of Photoshop Elements.)  The remaining changes to PR2024, while useful, are definitely not as revolutionary.  For the most part, they're limited to increased speed, an updated interface that allows users to more easily switch from browse to edit modes, a revamped layers pane that now allows text to be saved in layers, improvements in speed and cataloging capabilities (including keyword enhancements), and the inclusion of 100 new "curated" presets to effects.

After leaving Adobe, I search for quite a while for a satisfactory RAW processor and photo editor.  I had pretty well settled on DxO PhotoLab 6 and Skylum Luminar Neo.  When On 1 released the 2023 version of PhotoRAW, however, I was impressed enough to make the switch and now use PhotoRAW almost exclusively for processing and editing.  I'm confident I will be able to continue doing so with the 2024 version.

No comments:

Post a Comment