Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Adobe Express Background Remover


As those who follow this blog well know, I'm a great fan of Luminar Neo.  The latest app add-ons, however, have left me unenthused.  As I've previously posted, Skylum has announced, or more correctly partially announced, a series of seven extensions performing various functions not included in the original app.  At the time of the announcement only the first, HDR Merge, was named and offered at a sale price.  I had no problem with that since as a user of both Neo and Skylum's previous HDR software, Aurora, I was given the extension for free.  My problem lay with the other six extensions only one of which, Noiseless AI, was initially specified, even though Skylum was asking Neo users to purchase all six, sight unseen, either through subscription or in a package.  Since then Skylum has announced three more extensions - Upscale, Background Removal, and most recently Focus Stacking.  Of these only Background Removal was of interest to me, and since I had no desire to purchase the Skylum package or to subscribe I began searching the web in an effort to find another product that could perform the task satisfactorily.

Which brings me to Adobe Express, a web-based app that promises to "Remove the background from images for free" and adds for good measure "Free use forever/No credit card required" to drive the point home.  It sounded too good to be true, but I had nothing to lose by trying it.

It was only yesterday that I discovered Adobe Express and accordingly have so far only tested it with one image.  I uploaded the file without problem and the app seamlessly removed the background from behind the subject almost instantly and then gave me the option to download the image with transparent background as a png file.  It wasn't necessary to sign in to my Adobe account or my Creative Cloud account to remove the background from my sample photo (see above) but I did have to sign in to my Adobe account in order to download the result.  I'll do more testing, of course, as time permits but so far I'm very satisfied with the results.  If the app continues to work well I'll have no need of the Neo extension.

No comments:

Post a Comment