Saturday, July 16, 2022

GoPro 9 Accessories

Several days ago I posted here on my interest in using my GoPro Hero 9 for vlogging.  In line with that I went earlier this week to B&H and picked up two accessories that would be indispensable for such a purpose, the GoPro Media Mod and the GoPro Display Mod.  While the Display Mod has gotten uniformly excellent reviews, those given the Media Mod were much more mixed with many users complaining that it was far too awkward to be used easily and that the directional mic was not of high quality.  Nevertheless, owning the Media Mod is really a necessity for anyone wanting to use GoPro accessories, not only the Display Mod but third-party microphones and GoPro's own Light Mod, which I intend to purchase at some future date.  

After setting up the Media Mod and placing it on my camera, I found it worked well and while there are definitely inconveniences in the design (e.g., it's necessary to completely remove the GoPro from the mod in order to download videos via USB and to remove the battery for recharging) these are nothing that major.  On the other hand, the mod, which totally encases the GoPro when placed upon it, does provide added protection for the camera.  I have not yet tried using the Display Mod with it but do not anticipate any problems.  I also need to review the video I shot  yesterday, the first using the mod, to see how well the microphone performed.

GoPro routinely releases its newest models on September 22 of each year, and it should be interesting to see what the specs will be on the latest model. (Last year's model, the 10, showed only modest improvements over the 9, and that was the principal reason I opted to purchase the less expensive older model.)  Hopefully, the newest model will be compatible with the batteries and accessories I have already purchased for the 9 since I almost certainly will want at some point to upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment