Saturday, July 9, 2022

Vlogging


I recently posted on the newly released Nikon Z30 that's being heavily promoted as the ideal vlogging camera, though to be honest I'm not sure it's any better suited to that activity than many other cameras currently available, including my own GoPro Hero 9.  Posting on the Z30, however, did cause me for the first time to seriously consider vlogging itself.

In many ways posting on a written blog such as this is much better suited to my talents and temperament.  For one thing, it gives me an opportunity to exercise the writing skills of which I'm perhaps inordinately proud.  For another, it allows me to stay further in the background than would be possible with a vlog.  As perhaps the least photogenic person of all time, I'm not at all anxious to have my face constantly, or even occasionally, before the public.  And then there is the question of personality.  According to the not particularly well written Wikipedia article on vlogging:
"Researchers have conducted experiments using crowdsourcing for Amazon's Mechanical Turk to determine what kind of personality traits the Vlogger might have.  Many Vlogs have been personified by by five big personality traits such as Extraversion, Conscientiousness, Agreeableness, Neuroticism, and Openness to Experience."
I have to admit that of the five the only one that immediately rings a bell in my own case is Neuroticism.

In spite of the above I think it might nevertheless be interesting to experiment with vlogging.  After all, I have really nothing to lose.  I certainly have sufficient free time.  And there's no need for me to go to a great deal of expense.  I have pretty much all the necessary equipment - not only do I own the GoPro Hero 9 but also the Panasonic Lumix G9 which records excellent quality 4K video (though I think 1920x1080 might be sufficient for my purposes, at least initially) as well as the Sirui 50mm anamorphic lens I recently purchased to use with it.  As for software, I have the most recent version of Corel VideoStudio as well as Topaz Labs' Video Enhance AI.  Taken together, these should be more than enough to enable me to begin my experiment.  If I do decide to proceed with it, I'll not only describe the results here but will probably also create a YouTube channel on which to post the videos, though before doing that I would need at least enough experience to develop the basis of a style.

No comments:

Post a Comment