Wednesday, August 31, 2022

GoPro Light Mod

I picked up earlier this month the GoPro Light Mod, a must have accessory if shooting anywhere where an artificial light source is needed.  It turned out to be much smaller than I'd expected but still powerful enough to meet my needs.  Conveniently, it has four levels of brightness and 5000K color temperature, which simulates daylight.  It's bright enough that I can also use it for indoor still photography.

The best thing about the mod is that it's free standing in the sense there are no cable attachments to the GoPro itself, meaning that it can be used with any camera.  While it attaches directly to the GoPro Media Mod and other cameras via its hot shoe base, there are two problems with this.  First, if placed on the camera it must necessarily be the same distance from the subject as the camera itself.  Secondly, the light from the mod will be directly facing the subject, resulting in unattractive flat lighting.  To solve these problems, I purchased an inexpensive tripod-mount hot shoe adapter so that I could mount the mod on my old Leitz Tiltall tripod.  With this in place, I can move the light source independently of the camera and adjust the angle and direction of the light as I see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment