Wednesday, June 29, 2022

SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB SDXC Memory Card

 

When I purchased my Panasonic Lumix G9 camera from B&H Photo several years ago I was told by the salesman that if I wanted to shoot video or in burst mode I would need a UHS-II memory card.  And in fact the UHS-II cards are still recommended on the camera's B&H webpage in the Accessories listings.   The problem for me was that UHS-II cards are extremely pricey.  For example, the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB SDXC UHS-II memory card costs $169.99.  In contrast, the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB SDXC UHS-I memory card currently sells for only $29.79.  As I had no great interest in shooting video and none at all in shooting in burst mode at the time I bought the camera, I settled for a pair (the camera has dual card slots) of 32GB UHS-I cards which were more than sufficient for the number of photos I'd be shooting.  Recently however, as my interest in video has grown, it occurred to me that I might only need the UHS-II cards if I were shooting high resolution 4K video and that I might well be able to shoot lower resolution 1920x1080 video with UHS-I cards, and indeed this proved to be the case when I shot a few test videos.  Accordingly, I went to B&H yesterday and bought a pair of the 128GB UHS-I cards to handle the additional storage space I will need when shooting video.

As far as the brand, I would strongly recommend SanDisk Extreme Pro.  These cards have never failed me yet and I consider them the most reliable available.  A few years ago a SanDisk tech representative told me at the New York Photo Expo that the company's Ultra cards were just as reliable, the only difference being they wrote to memory at slower speeds.  That was not true.  The one Ultra card I purchased fried and became unusable after I once mistakenly fired the G9 in burst mode. That should not have happened and almost assuredly would not have happened with an Extreme Pro card.

No comments:

Post a Comment